Science and Education
Murmansk regional science system is presented by network of large research and design institutes, scientific and production enterprises and associations:
- Kola scientific center of Russian Academy of Science (KSC RAS) – including 10 institutes
- Polar scientific-research institute of marine fish industry and oceanography named after S. Knipovich (PINRO);
- Federal state institution «Murmansk center of scientific-technical information» (Murmansk CNTI);
- LLC «Sevribproekt»;
- JSC Scientific-technical firm «Complex systems»;
- Kolsky regional seismological center (KRSC GS RAN);
- JSC «Kolsky geological information laboratory center» (JSC «KGILC»);
- JSC «Marine arctic geological survey expedition»;
- State scientific institution «Murmansk state experiment station of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences».
Murmansk region education system consists of the following branches:
Preschool education of the Murmansk Region is represented by a network of 311 education institutions implementing the general programme of comprehensive preschool education, the overall number of children being 44 thousand. During the 2013 were created 372 extra places for children due to modernisation and reconstruction of the preschool educational base.
Secondary comprehensive education
As of 2014/2015 study year, there were 178 comprehensive schools, 175 of them being state and municipal schools. One school belongs to the RF Defence Ministry, one school - to the Ministry of social development and labour of the Murmansk region and and one school is private.
Special needs education
As of 1 September 2014, the following schools were functioning in the Murmansk Region:
- 7 state schools for disabled children (4 boarding schools and 1 school for children with intellect impairments, 1 for children with hearing and sight impairments and 1 for children with severe speech impairments).
As of 1 September 2014, there were 725 pupils with health disabilities studying in special schools.
209 special classes were created in 2014/2015 in scholls for 2162 children. 147 disabled children are being educated in inclusive form.
Extended education for children
The Murmansk Region system of extended education is represented by 63 institutions of extended education for children, 60 of them are being municipal and 3 are being state-owned. Activities of 29 sport and physical education institutions where over 18 thousand people do 42 sports contribute to healthy lifestyle and physical education of children and useful activities of teenagers. About 2 thousand clubs and groups are present in schools to cater for extended education needs of children and parents as much as possible.
Institutions for orphans
As of 2014/2015 study year, there were functioning 6 orphanages, Orphanage Assistance Center, Olenegorsk special correction schools for orphans and non-government institution called the “SOS Children village – Kandalaksha.”
The number of orpahns is 385.
The children in orphanages receive full government support. There are also additional social assistance guarantees under the federal and Murmansk Region law.
There are 30 vocational education institutions in the Murmansk region: 20 institutions and 10 affiliates.
The main goal of institutions is provision of main industries in the region with qualified professional employees.
Higher professional education
There are 22 higher professional education institutions in the region, 4 of them are being institutes of higher education and 18 affiliates.